Friday, April 1, 2011

We were in the park, climbing and swinging a few weekneds ago and just past the playground, on the open 
field/baseball course were kids from The Foret Hills Little League practising.  They were probably only a few years past t-ball, but their fundamentals were horrible.  They were swipping at balls hit in the air, lots of OLE, very little catching with your glove and your hand. The two older kids who were long tossing were even worse (and they should have known better).

But what really struck me is how the kids threw the ball back in from the outfield. Some threw back in these soft looping arches, some threw back with a weak line drive and then one or two threw the ball straight and when it hit the coach's glove it made a POP sound. I know little Niel is only seven months old but I want to teach him to throw like that. Strong and with authority. I just don't know how.

Having never played organized ball, until I played corporate softball as an adult. I don't know if I have the skills to pass on to my kids. I picked up how to swing a bat and throw the ball. But I'm pretty weak at footwork around the bases, tracking a fly ball off the bat and making a throw that pops.  Are there any books out there ... Perhaps a
class.

No comments:

Post a Comment